Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sabbath #4

I was really tired when I got home Friday evening and was in bed asleep by 8:30. I awoke @ 3:30 a.m. and checked the Skype and found that Shaloy was online so we chatted for about an hour. She got to bed before 10 p.m. and I went back to sleep from 4 until 8 am.

A nice leisurely morning with a breakfast of toast on a plate while I grazed on the mulberries fresh from the tree. I meet the new Anesthesiologist. He arrived through Nairobi yesterday and Ike is leaving today. His bag hasn’t arrived and he’s working to track it down. Now we’ve got two Terrys in the house, but this one has an Aussie accent and the original Terry has a New Jersey accent. Dr. Konn warns me that I might have a difficult time with a ride to church in that it’s community service day across the country. Everybody is strongly encouraged to work in their community making it a better place.

I walk the 1/4 mile to the corner and don’t encounter a single moto. The city is quiet and seems to be sleeping, , , where have all the people gone ? ? ? I don’t hear trucks, matatas, motos and only a few personal cars. I don’t see people everywhere, , , It’s almost 9:30 on a Saturday morning I’ve not seen the streets this empty ever. The quiet is so peaceful. I guess they take the once per month community service day seriously. I take a seat at the pull-out where people wait for the city buses. A single moto goes by after 5 minutes and I wave indicating I want a ride. He wants 4,000 FRw ($8.00)to take me to Kimironko and I still would have to walk the last mile to the church. I decide to wait for the matata which will only cost 170 FRw ($0.35). So I wait , , , and wait , , , Three little boys go by with a home made soccer ball and cross the main thoroughfare half way and then stop and have a consultation in the middle of the road. I’m more interesting than whatever they were planning so they come back to where I’m sitting and touch me to see if the white will come off. William, Dick and Anan speak varying levels of English but are quite happy to sit next to me and occasionally utter different words. I enjoy their company even though none of them is over 8 years old. Gradually more and more people are on the streets and many are carrying machetes. In a country where a lot of people were hacked to death with these huge knives their presence is a bit un-nerving. I soon see that they are using the machetes to cut the grass along the side of the road. A couple of teenagers come by and although I ask several times concerning the eventual presence of a matata, I can't seem to comprehend whether there will or won't be a bus. After waiting about 40 minutes another empty moto comes by and for just 1,000 FRw he'll take me to Kimironko. Each time I mention Kibagabaga the price doubles so I'll just walk the last mile.

Sabbath School is almost over when I arrive and I can see that there is a baptismal tank set up for use outside today. A couple of songs for church and we go outside to watch 8 people get baptised. We sing constantly between baptisms and then go back in for the rest of the service. After church I walk back to the matata station @ Kimironko but I've got a friend. A little boy about 8 - 9 years old wants to walk with me. I'm quite concerned about where his family is and won't they want to know where he is. Later in our walk up the hill, I pass an Adventist teenager and I ask him to enquire about the boy and he assures me that all will be well. A half block before the matata station the boy waives goodbye and heads down a side street. I head for the guest house. The city has woken up and seems to be back to normal.

I enjoyed a quiet afternoon of music and visiting. Terry, the new anesthesiologist, is a musician who plays guitar, banjo and mandolin. He has not seen an autoharp and is fascinated with it and it's sound. When I put it down he picks it up and almost immediately makes beautiful sounds come out of it. So I get my whistles and recorders. We spent the afternoon under the cabana. He's traveled quite a bit and it's very nice to have a deep conversation in English. I miss Shaloy, Ted Porter, Nee Barnor, Jennifer Stephenson, Mark Layne, Sharon Vaughn and so many others who I can talk with about concepts, theories, current events and such. The language barrier is probably the most tiring aspect of the trip. Terry has a lost bag and I'm glad to be able to lend him some clothes. After Sabbath we walked to a nice restaurant that I've wanted to try. The food @ "Afribite" was delicious, plus filling in a casual and super atmosphere. The service was spectacular and the food was a great, tasty and traditional. Two of us ate for less than half of what it cost at the Indian restaurant.
During the day there was a football match between Rwanda & Mauritania. The House staff were watching on the television and would come out to tell us each time Rwanda scored. We did not need for them to do it because the game was being watched around the neighborhood. There was a yell that seemed to echo across Kigali everytime Rwanda scored. Happy mood when Rwanda won 3 zip.

I've used the last of two of my favorite things. I am out of Dr. Bronner's pure peppermint castille soap. In past times I've only used it camping but I've been enjoying using it as a body wash here in Kigali. I have no hope of finding it locally. I've eaten the last of my horehound candy. :-( On a positive note I found Rhubarb in the market. Philbert has never seen it before and doesn't know how to cook it. I don't make pie crusts, but can make a dynamite rhubarb pie filling which I've enjoyed for the last three days. Philbert approves. HMM GOOD!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matatas are buses? Do you have to barter for the price of a bus ride also?
My preference is that the machetes are not brought out, while you are in Rwanda.
I enjoyed campmeeting today. Got to see Tekoa in a Cohutta Springs Camp staff play at Junior Sabbath School. Surprised her with a hug after the play, as she left. Then went to the adult's meeting which you Leif like to call the "gray hairs" meeting. Bill McClendon spoke about evangelism. You were missed.

Dan & Kelly Pratt said...

It sounds like you had a relaxing Sabbath, Leif. Honali, Zach, and Jenn are here, so we have been busy with a house full. Campmeeting was good, as Shaloy said. It is raining today, and it looks like it will stay that way all day.