Friday, May 23, 2008

King Faisal Day #5

The morning routine was pretty uneventful. The water pressure seemd a bit low so I filled some of the containers. You know, , just in case, ,

It was a very slow day @ the hospital. We had three patients today. Said was scheduled to be with me and Diogene came in on his day off (That's the 2nd time this has happened) Benard the student also was there for much of the day. We had basically the whole day for theory and practice/practical application, then more theory and practice/practical application, then more theory and practice/practical application.
There is a very pleasant German woman from Butare hospital who is in Kigali evaluating available services, fees and referral options. Her English is excellent and she joins us for one of the lesson sessions while she awaits for time with the Radiologist. She tells me there is a German cardiologist who does Echocardiograms in Butare and He's been trying to teach the other physicians how to scan abdomens. But he returns home in a month and they'll not have anyone to do the Echography. She seems very interested in having a sonographer @ the hospital. As intelligent and knowledgeable as she seems I'm getting a bit leery of other folks evaluations of usage patterns.

At his request, I spend about 30 minutes explaining and demonstrating renal artery scanning to the radiologist. I encourage him to consider the amount of scan time necessary to correctly perform renal exams. I think it finally struck him how meticulous one must be when I demonstrated the dramatic differences in reported velocities with just a 20 degree variation in angle correction.

At lunch time it was raining and we waited for the rain to stop so we could walk to lunch. Then one of the senior radiographers (Pascal) who has a car offered to drive us to the restaurant. It was back to "New Life" Restaurant by day tavern by night. A normal African lunch again but today I get brave and ask the proprietor if I can take some pictures. The food is tasty and filling and must be loaded with calories.

The afternoon is spent alternating between theory/practice and reviewing prior cases. We try to see the CT on the renal patient from yesterday but he hasn't had his CT yet. Financial issues I'm told. The CTs are pretty expensive for the average Rwandan. I may have to come back and correct the figure but I was told a while back it was around $150 US for the exam and interpretation.
I can't bear the thought of sitting around the house this weekend. Ike is taking off for Gisenyi, Dr. Konn, Patrick, Benard and the American students are in Kibuye and I've not made any friends @ the church, , , So I'm going to one of the genocide memorials and a park. Diogene went with me to Mumenge (town center) and after visiting three bus services I purchased a ticket leaving @ 7:00 am for Butare. Diogene has been a great friend and help today. We now go to find a small daypack for my weekend. The first place we find a pack that might work but it has basically no padding on the shoulder straps and the first two they get for me bust the zippers. They want $10,00 FRw which I think is okay for a pack that I consider disposable but we leave and look for better wares. We find another shop with a better pack. self healing zipper, thicker material, more padding. The guy wants $15,000FRw I offer him ten and he sticks to the fifteen. We leave but he comes to the street entrance and comes down to $12,000 ($24 U.S.) I'm happy and have a pack I think could take the place of my damaged carry-on.

Diogene walks me to the bus area and makes sure I get on the right bus to Kimihurura. He encourages me to take the bigger buses and I'm wondering why I didn't catch on to this one sooner. There is a single seat on the left near the window and a double seat on the right with room for only two. I grab a seat and don't even have to touch the other passenger. The bus slowly fills for about 5 minutes and I'm wondering if all these other people are going to stand. Then I see that what I thought was my right arm rest is a folded up "jump seat". Once the back of the bus fills these jump seat fold down to make a bench from one side to the other. Two people now join each row, making 5 across and we are full on touching both of the other passenger's sides from ankle to shoulder. I think I'm getting used to it in that I know that this is everyday for the folks I'm riding with.

Tomorrow I'll go to Butare and once there I'll get a local bus to take me to Murambi Memorial Site where some 50,000 Tutsi were killed in Gikongoro. Once I've visited the memorial I'll go on to Nyungwe park. The highlights of this mountainous rain forest park are 14 species of monkeys and chimpanzees, orchids and butterflys. It is between 5,600 and 9,700 feet elevation. I'll play it by ear about where to sleep but I'm taking food just in case I'm able to stay at the park.

When I get home , , , , the water is off. Supper is the fruit that's ripe and won't keep two more days, A large mango and three avocados. No updates until I'm back Sunday evening.

2 comments:

Dan & Kelly Pratt said...

Leif, I hope you have a wonderful Sabbath! We will be thinking about you during Sabbath School!

Anonymous said...

Quite the restaurant! Looks lke Pathfinder fare! Glad Diogene has befriended you. Wish you could capture his smile. Maybe you could write about the Rwandan custom with the camera. State-side people would find that interesting.
We had a large group again at Sabbath School. Kel played guitar and Ted the accordian for the paise time. It was lovely. Dan led out with the Bible study, and he did a great job as usual. Missed you though!!!! Was nice to have Kel and Josie back with us again. Congratulations are in order to Trudy and Wesley, they are expecting! That's the news from Lake Wobegon--"Where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average," Our compliments to Garrison Keillor. And I am Woe that you are gone.