Wednesday, May 21, 2008

King Faisal Day #3,

I'm woken wide awake @ 4:30. It seems that my intestines have decided they no longer want to be part of me and my escapades and they've decided to pack it up and leave. . . . via the nearest exit . . . . . Now!! I'm just glad I stocked up on soft paper. In between times, I visit with Shaloy on the Skype. At this rate I'm pretty sure there won't be any going to work today. I take a dose of 1 charcoal tablet and two Loperamide. . . Finally about an hour later they change their mind and decide to stay. I go back to sleep and wake up a bit later as though all is well with the world.

Okay, get up and start to clean up and who is this??? but the driver is here to pick us up @ 6:30. Ike and the driver have mis-communicated the pick up time & the driver is ready to go now. I'd rather walk than rush now and be there over an hour before the rest of the staff. I ask them to leave me. So, , , another leasurely morning (warm shower water and a bit of pressure :-) ) breakfast with white scrambled eggs and milk that tastes like half and half for breakfast. I walk to the corner, catch a moto and I'm there before 8:00.

Seth is the chief Radiographer and he provided me with a "clinical coat" today. My lab jacket that Shaloy sent hasn't arrived yet. I worked with "Said". This guy is sharp. Already understands the physics and can explain it to me without prompting. Understands the associated math and is pretty good with anatomy and great with understanding the terminology. A slow morning with just a few cases before lunch and a couple after. We had time to scan each other and discuss the functions of the various buttons and the actions of various pathologies on the ultrasound images. We did have a couple of cases that looked like malignant liver lesions. One that looked like gall bladder sludge (definite fluid/solid interface that you expected to be parallel to the floor but instead was vertical in orientation) but it was attached to the wall and would not move regardless of patient position. I also worked with an OB/GYN doctor as he evaluated a set of twins.

Dr. Konn brought the American students to the hospital and I visited with 1/2 of them while the other half toured and then switched and visited with the 2nd 1/2 while the first half toured. Much of my conversation each day is limited by my limited amount of French & Kinyrwandan. I depend on the local folks to be able to speak English or draw or I sign. This doesn' t give much opportunity to have deep conversations. It was nice to visit with native english speakers for a while.

Diogene joined us just before lunch and then again in the afternoon. We scanned different people in the department, did a couple of other cases, reviewed the CT of one of our morning patients and scanned a few more of each other. I walked home again but called Abdullah to make my own arrangements with a driver I know, so that there is less confusion and mix up. I wave to the seamstress lady and am going home at the same time as the school children who enjoy daring each other to talk to the muzungu or shake my hand and say "hello".

The house is empty and Philbert says everyone is gone or gone out for the evening except me. I do some CVTC e-mail work, start a download of some software that Nee has sent and look up that Indian Restaurant I read about. Down to the corner and catch a city bus to within a couple of blocks. One of the people on the bus, Julius, gets off at my exit and walks me to Indian Khazana. The Lonely Planet guide of East Africa gave it great marks and I would as well. Quiet, attractive, attentive service, not outlandish prices, huge selection (including a lot of vegetarian). I have an appetizer of lentils and spinach that are rolled into balls the size of a racquetball and fried. Some of that great Indian bread and goat (the first tender meat I've had in Rwanda) in a thick brown sauce. The masala tea with milk was outstanding for desert.

I walked about a mile before I could flag a moto and now I'm about to crawl into bed and hope that this night will not have any conflicts amongst my innerds. I've gotten two e-mail birthday cards, a happy birthday song from Shaloy, a number of other e-mails with birthday wishes, and I've enjoyed my presents of a French-English Dictionary from Tekoa, Autoharp from Shaloy and anti-rain jacket from Zach. Other than noticing that I keep my reading glasses close @ hand I don't feel much older.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got over the diarrhea and were able to work. I was hoping that someone there would do something special for your birthday.

Anonymous said...

Hope that you had a great birthday pops!

Dan & Kelly Pratt said...

Leif, the Indian food sounds wonderful! Dan and I are going to India Mahal this afternoon...Try a little bit more charcoal next time. Ten tabs at a time usually works good, but don't take anything else with it, because that will deactivate it. :)