Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thursday June 12

I’ve been needing a day like today to write my report. I don’t have any set appointments, no specific place to teach, just a day to get caught up on those things you occasionally need to catch up. That’s today. Catch up day. I missed Shaloy on the Skype and decide that I’ll move to the computer closet where I get a better connection.

The report is my observations and recommendations concerning Sonography training in Rwanda and covers the question of the training of those currently performing the ultrasounds (general practitioners @ district hospitals, the deliberate assignment by the Rwandan Ministry of Health of a recognized para-professional sonographer and the outlook for training sonographers in Rwanda.

I’m done by 1:00 pm and walk for a bite to eat and then catch a moto to KHI where I’ll print the report. I want to have a couple of other eyes look at it before I submit so that I get it in the right format, to the right people with the wording that is locally common. I also trust Dr. Konn’s opinion on the local conditions and don’t want to be offensive or pushy. John is very accommodating with the printing and helps me get a driver to go to the new guest house. I’ve got the time and all we’re going on is rumors about moving preparedness. I grab some pictures and I’m sure that we’re not moving Friday (tomorrow) and doubt seriously that we’ll be moving Sunday. Link to all pictures of new guest house.

Dr. Konn is leaving in 1 week and I’m gone in 2 so it’s time to try and get our reservations for Rhurengerhi for the Guerilla trekking. Terry doesn’t want to join us as he’s promised his wife they’ll go together and he’s heard that it’s magical once but not twice. We’ve been calling, e-mailing and stopping in @ ORTPN periodically and keep hearing that there is a single slot tomorrow, or next Monday there is a single spot. We keep waiting for two openings but will take individual ones if we don’t find something in the next couple of days.

At ORTPN I put on my best face of a poor, pathetic, polite and kind Muzungu who just doesn’t understand that when they tell me there are no openings when I desire to go that I should leave. I ask again are there two openings on this date, , no?? Okay please look at this date, , , ohhh nooo that’s too bad... How about this date??? I’m realizing that the tour operators have direct access to the reservation system and are constantly adding and dropping reservation slots. What may not have been available ten minutes ago may become available 5 minutes from now. Those slots become available to either the ORTPN office or to the other tour operators (whoever spies the opening first). We working also with Dr. Konn’s schedule, my schedule and really only have a couple of options for when we can go. I asked her to look again at this Sunday and now there are two slots open for Sunday!! Although it takes another 40 minutes to complete the paperwork and do the credit card transaction I’ve got our tickets. The bonus is that we don’t have to adjust schedules since we’re going on a weekend.

I was done by 4:00 and had some time to go tourist shopping and get my bus reservation for tomorrows trip to Rwinkavu hospital. I have a list of people for whom I want to purchase memorabilia and I’m looking for the right things and right prices from shop owners who’ve treated me kindly. I have a great trip in town and end the day waiting for Abdullah to pick me up at UTC, since he’s already on his way to the guest house. I know I stand out as a Muzungu. I had not considered the number of stares a Muzungu with arms full of African items might attract standing on a street corner in downtown Kigali as people are leaving for home. I think the most welcome site I’ve seen in Rwanda so far was that tan Corolla swooping in to my rescue from the city of a thousand stares.

2 comments:

Dan & Kelly Pratt said...

Leif, I like how you describe the staring! You don't even really get used to it, do you? :)

Dan & Kelly Pratt said...

Leif, I like how you describe the staring! You don't even really get used to it, do you? :)