Tuesday, June 3, 2008

King Faisal Day #6

It’s my second week but there has been a week in between. I’m genuinely happy to see Diogene, Said and Betty. It feels like I’ve come home. I haven’t worked with Pascal much before but we’re working together today. First thing in the morning I met with Dr. Sanoga and we went to see Dr. Innocent Nyaruhirira who is the Executive Chariman of King Faisal hospital. I/we want his support for having sonographers and his advice as to best approach the Minister of Health. It was a good and productive meeting.

Once back in the department, I see Pascal and we visit as a group together. They want to get the web address for the blog and I spend a bit of time showing them pictures. They seem to be interested in seeing pictures of my family. Pascal and I are going to be the primary team for sonography today with others coming in as they have time. Pascal held down the fort last time I was here so the others could learn and now it’s his turn. We take care of a couple of patients and get a bit of time to do some book work. Then another couple of patients and the OB/GYN doctor has brought 7 patients and he wants to "borrow the machine and room".


It took a bit to finish the exam but we eventually get done and move out. After his second case I asked him if I could observe. He was happy to let me and I was able to show him a couple of minor items where he could be a bit more efficient with the machine. I really enjoy performing OB exams. He seemed honestly happy to have another set of eyes. Pascal came back in and we would change the sheets and tried to help things along. The room setup isn’t very good for good posture and the Transvaginal exams really need a table with stirrups and a drop away bottom. I promised to bring him some of the information stuff that Sound Ergonomics had donated. He’s doing between 10 and 15 ultrasound exams per day and is certainly a candidate for Muskoloskeletal injury.


Once the first wave of OB/GYN patients were done we had some radiology sonography studies waiting. I was quite surprised when Dr. Sanoga suggested we should go to lunch as I thought it was a bit early. He assured me that if we didn’t get down to the cafeteria soon they would close as it was already 2 p.m.!! I’d been having such a good time scanning, working, teaching, helping that I’d totally lost track of time.

After lunch, Said managed to be in the room the majority of the rest of the day. We spent about an hour with one OB patient trying to become proficient with the 3D transducer and it’s surface rendering mode. We are able to make it work but the final product is not outstanding. I’ve brought the manual home to read up on it tonight. We saw quite a few pathologies today. (Pancreatic carcinoma with invasion to the IVC, a couple of cases of chronic DVT, ovarian mass, possible ectopic vs very early intrauterine that we couldn’t resolve but will watch).
I had supper alone with Terry. He was finishing up his supper when I arrived but we visited while I prepared mine and he sat with me under the cabana while I ate. His bag has arrived!! In one piece with all of it’s contents. I know his stress has dropped significantly. I’ve really enjoyed visiting with him. When we were in Kimironko market yesterday, we found some raw peanuts. He’s shown me how you can roast them in a fry pan with a bit of oil and salt. They are quite tasty.

After cleaning up my supper dishes I played the autoharp under the cabana for about 40 minutes. No Internet Monday since noon. Terry said he thinks the Internet is down across the country , , Could be!?!

1 comment:

Dan & Kelly Pratt said...

Leif, that is wonderful that you have Terry to visit with! I can only imagine how much fun you are having talking and exploring together. How long does he get to stay?