Wednesday, June 4, 2008

King Faisal Day #8

Standard morning. Dr. Konn is going to Kibuye for the rest of the week, Duvall is already there, Zachary is gone but I don’t know where, Philbert has been gone a lot to the new guest house (cleaning), I haven’t seen Philip in a week. That leaves Terry and I as the only ones still here and we make plans to go out for supper tonight. Thursday I’ve invited the radiographers from King Faisal hospital to come for supper. Terry has volunteered to help me cook.

I waited until 8:00 am and when no driver came I started towards King Faisal and caught a moto. The morning was slow with just two renal studies by 11:00 am. I worked with Said and I showed him how to use the siescape feature when viewing large areas. We both worked more with the 3D feature trying to become more adept. Said tells me that tonight will work much better for the group to come and eat with me @ the guest house. I know Terry will be flexible so we’re on for tonight.

Next week I’m doing a two day seminar for general practitioner physicians from across the country. We were scheduled to hold it @ KHI but there is no ultrasound unit there so we’ve made arrangements to have it at King Faisal. The radiography program director is supposed to come this afternoon to confirm the arrangements and check on food possibilities. There are quite a few resources @ KHI that were donated by AIUM, SDMS, Pegasus Lectures, Gulf Coast Ultrasound, Society of Vascular Ultrasound and Sound Ergonomics. I need to audit that they’ve all arrived, sort them by category and choose the ones that may be helpful next week. Additionally I want to have a visit with the director to discuss my observations and opinion about the long and short term options for training of sonographers in Rwanda. So @ 11:30 I bid adieu and catch a moto across town to KHI.

The audit goes well - everything has arrived except the box of materials from Sound Ergonomics and John tells me there is a box waiting at the post office. We walk to eat lunch @ Karibou which serves upscale African fare. Over lunch I shared with him my observations, concerns and the options for training. He seems open and grateful for the outside perspective. He asks me to prepare an official letter of finding for presentation to the KHI president and we discuss possible dates. After I have it prepared and presented I'll share it on the blog. Afterwards it’s back to King Faisal to confirm those arrangements with the head of catering services and Seth (chief radiographer)

After those meetings it’s pretty apparent that it’s not picking up in volume as the two morning studies are still the only ones in the log book. So I head to Kimironko market to get supplies for tonight. I’m getting quite comfortable with the bus system. I’m no longer dreading the squeeze as we pile in 4 to a row. I’m finding I have favorite vendors at the market who recognize me and there is less haggling over prices. I know where each of the items is located so I’m on my way back home with 2 Kilos of potatoes ($0.40), 2 fresh pineapples ($1.60), 3 large avocados ($0.60) 2 purple cabbages and 2 onions ($1.40) a very large bag of shelled red peanuts for ($3.00). The only part that was a bit expensive was the fresh Tillapia Fillets but they are much less than I’d pay in the U.S.. Tonight we’ll feed ten people well for less than a dinner for two would cost back home.
Back at the house, Terry is already here and roasting the peanuts, , He is great, , , working to help prepare the salad and fry the chips. The group of ten arrives right on time @ 6:30 and we’re eating by 6:45. The food turned out good and after clearing away the dishes we had a lovely evening with music and visiting. They haven’t seen an autoharp and seem very interested in how it works. I brought out my whistles and recorders as well. One of the house guests, Phillip has come home for the evening and he joined us. Phillip was Seth’s Biology teacher in High School and they enjoyed visiting a bit. Too soon it’s getting late (after 8 pm) and everybody has to work tomorrow so we take a few pictures and lots of hugs and I let them out the gate promising to have a link to pictures on the blog tomorrow.
When I get back into the house, I’m pleasantly surprised to see that the John (one of the house workers) has got the cleanup almost done. I’ve been working hard to be extra friendly with John as I’m trying to get him to use some English and he’s trying to get me to use some KiniRwandan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad,
I'm glad to hear that everything is going well. I really enjoying reading your blogs. Everythings good in Michigan! Love you, Tria

Dan & Kelly Pratt said...

I am glad that you got your internet connection up and running again - I know how lost you can feel without it here in the states, but even more so in Africa! It sounds like you had a great evening with your students, with lots of good food and fellowship.