Saturday, March 29, 2008

Answering the Questions - Fulbright Scholar

The funniest part of this question was the answer. I had sent at least a dozen e-mails back and forth with Terry Konn PhD before I realized that Terry wasn't short for Terrance. Dr. Konn had said that there was a blog. On the blog there was a picture of a white woman with some Rwandan students. I wondered why Terry hadn't put at least one self image until I realized that the white woman was Dr. Konn.

I'll ask Dr. Konn to share her story and post it to this blog. Until then the link to her blog spots is http://www.blogger.com/profile/15580406035590318437

Dr. Konn said...

Hello Everyone -It is not the first time in my life someone has assumed I was a male. My name is Terry (spelled like a boy) That is a long story in itself. I think my father wanted another football player, but got a surprise instead! This is my second trip to Rwanda to teach at the Kigali Health Institute in Kigali. It is always a challenge and a wonderful experience at the same time being able to leave your safe and comfortable surroundings to embark on a journey to somewhere unfamiliar and different.My advice to any one out there is if you are ever given a chance to travel, teach, explore and meetpeople of foreign lands - do not hesitate! The experience is unforgettable! I hope tohear from some of you. I am happy to answer any of your questions. Many happy travels,Terry M. Konn, Ph.D. Mum


Terry Konn PHD RT is serving the Kigali Health Institute http://www.khi.ac.rw/ as a Senior Fulbright Scholar. She is teaching Radiological Imaging and is helping to develop the curriculum for other areas including sonography. http://khimedicalimaging.blogspot.com/

Dr. Konn Writes, “There are maybe 12 scanners throughout the country. They are not being utilized, because there is no one trained in most rural districts. In the hospitals that you will go to there are a total of 4 units, I believe. In addition to a radiologist, I only know of 2 technologists that perform limited US. I think the idea is to train them well, so they can then train others.” A sonography program is being developed and I have shared curriculum materials but at this time the approximately dozen ultrasound units are going largely unused because the staff are not confident, comfortable, trained to perform the examinations.


My other area of ignorance was about Fulbright Scholars. After a search of the web I found that the fulbright Scholarship is operated by the U.S. State Department. http://www.cies.org/

"International education exchange is the most significant current project designed to continue the process of humanizing mankind to the point, we would hope, that nations can learn to live in peace" --J. William Fulbright

There seems to be four major categories of Fulbright Scholars with many subcategories of opportunities:




  1. Fulbright Programs for U.S. Scholars. Programs that offer U.S. faculty, administrators and professionals grants to lecture or do research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields, or to participate in seminars.


  2. Fulbright Global Programs for U.S. and non-U.S. ScholarsPrograms that offer joint collaborative opportunities for U.S. and non-U.S. scholars, alumni and institutions.


  3. Fulbright Programs for Visiting ScholarsPrograms that support the research and teaching of visiting (Non-U.S.) scholars at U.S. colleges and universities.


  4. Fulbright Scholar Grants for Institutions Opportunities for U.S. institutions to host Fulbright Visiting Scholars and professionals from abroad to lecture at U.S. colleges and universities.



Grants are specilaized in duration, location and application.

1 comment:

Brookdale Community College Study Abroad Team said...

Hello Everyone-
It is not the first time in my life someone has assumed I was a male. My name is Terry (spelled like a boy) That is a long story in itself. I think my father wanted another football player, but got a surprise instead!
This is my second trip to Rwanda to teach at the Kigali Health Institute in Kigali. It is always a challenge and a wonderful experience at the same time being able to leave your safe and comfortable surroundings to embark on a journey to somewhere unfamiliar and different.
My advice to any one out there is if you are ever given a chance to travel, teach, explore and meetpeople of foreign lands- do not hesitate! The experience is unforgettable!
I hope tohear from some of you. I amhappy toanswer any ofyour questions.
Many happy travels,
Terry M. Konn, Ph.D.
Mum